Bright and breezy ... like the weather

14th August 2021 (Saturday)     11.30.... it’s a cracker of a day;  ‘bright and

Gordon and 'Kittiwake'.

breezy’ with some nice clouds around.   As long as they, the clouds, don’t drop their contents on us it will be a good day for being out and about.

I went for the paper about 07.30 and got back to Ivy Cottage at 09.20 having done a circuit of the villages.  Most of the time was spent at the harbour, where I bumped into Gordon (Beaton), a friend from sailing days.   Gordon has sold his Drascombe Lugger, ‘Kittiwake’,  as his sailing partner (Bruce) has had to stop sailing, so he (Gordon) feels that this would be a good time to stop sailing, and perhaps buy something that requires less physical effort.    It’s an age thing... Gordon is 80.  It was great seeing Gordon again and catching up with all his adventures.

Black Headed Gull (winter plumage).

 I played with the central heating controls (it is a mobile control unit) last night, setting my choice of the times and temperature.   The engineer said that the controls were ‘foolproof’.... they aren’t;  the central heating didn’t come on this morning.   Having re-read the ‘rools’ (properly this time), and resetting the times and temperatures correctly, I am looking forward to the heating coming ‘on’ at 18.00.  

 20.00    The heating came on, not quite at the set time as it wasn’t cold enough, but, as soon as I moved the controls, out of the hot kitchen to a cooler part of the house,  it didn’t take long for the heating to kick in.    I’m a happy ‘boy’.... I’ll be really happy if/when it switches ‘off’ at 22.30. ... as per my setting.

I went out to see if ‘Marella Explorer’ (cruise ship) was visible from Ivy gate, the  but my nostrils were attracted by a familiar smell;   a smell that brought back many memories.... of my working days.   (Most of them happy but some, like one winter we worked in Livingston, not so happy;  that job was what I imagine working in Siberia would be like).   My next door neighbour, Alistair, was painting the fence.  My word that took me back.... and has me in the mood to paint something.   I hope the mood wears off by tomorrow morning.   Oh ... I forgot all about the ‘Marella Explorer’:  she is making for Invergordon.

The wind has moderated and we have a lovely evening;  I’d get the bike out but I


switched the kettle ‘on’ so will have a cuppa instead.   I’ve been a ‘bag o’ nerves’ for the past couple of days, and need the calming that comes from a tea bag.    Tomorrow’s ‘plan’ is to have a relaxing day, watching Alistair painting, Chris carrying his golf clubs, and  Skye taking Barbara for a walk, .... me? ... I'll be un-tidying the kitchen. Yes, that would be a restful day!

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....