Queen Elizabeth's funeral ....

19th September 2022 (Monday)    07.30 .... ‘Light cloud and light winds’,

Photo courtesy BBC TV.

with a low chance of precipitation, is the weather forecast for our area today;  I’m hoping for ‘sunny spells’ in the afternoon, even though they don’t get a mention.   I’m feeling brighter, and think the cold will be well away before Wednesday and will be fine for the flu and COVID jabs.   Today will be another ‘rest day’;  there’s the pageantry of HM’s State funeral from 11.00 to watch....now and again.  

We don’t have ‘The Queue’ anymore;  there was something relaxing about watching so many people filing slowly past HM’s coffin: with the ‘changing of the guard ‘ every 20 minutes adding solemnity at the end of this great British tradition....‘The Queue’: An out pouring of grief and love on a grand scale.   I doubt if there will ever be another ‘Queue’  like this again.

Photo courtesy BBC TV.

18.30    We’ve had a lovely day.... sunny and warm for most of the afternoon; but some there was some light spots o’ rain when I went out to The Hutte a wee while ago.... and it looks like we could get a few more spots because there are some, threatening looking, dark clouds around at the moment.

I think I have more or less shaken off the ‘cauld’ and that I’ll be fine for my jab’s on Wednesday.   According to the wee book o’ rools, if you have a sniffle it’s OK;  as long as your temperature is normal.

HM The Queen’s State funeral is over, but, my word, although sad, it has been one memorable day.   The pageantry was amazing;   the whole day was put together as only the UK could can: no other country in the World comes near to the way we do State occasions.   I didn’t watch it all day, but saw the most of it;  the long walk at Windsor is 3 miles long so that  gave me time to concoct a salad for my denner.  

Seeing the troops all lined up on parade, reminded me of the Queen’s Birthday parade at Aldershot in 1958:  Field Marshall Montgomery was taking the salute.   2 Trg Bn was part of the RASC contribution.   Before our troops marched onto the parade ground, Brian a friend of mine, and I were handed a yellow duster and a clothes brush;  our job was to check the boots and dress of our friends that were going to be on the parade;  after doing out ‘duty’ tidy up, Brian and I were sent to the NAAFI for the duration of the parade.   We never saw Field Marshall Montgomery.   I enjoyed my National Service.

21.30    I guess this is the start of a new era with King Charles III as our monarch;  HM

Photo courtesy BBC TV.

The Queen will be sorely missed but I’m sure the Royal Family will be with us for many years to come... at least I hope they are.  One thing we do know;  the UK will never have another Queen like the one that was laid to rest today.


Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....