Dreich ....



29th June 2020 (Monday)   06.30 ....Sunrise was a couple of hours ago but
Elie High Street.
you would hardly know it;  my word we  have a grey, wet and bleak looking morning.... I must get a few ‘bleak look’ photos.    The grey sky should lighten and break up a bit over the morning ....a few sunny spells should bumble over and we could have an interesting sky.   Slight flap on got to go for the paper!    At the moment it looks like being a ‘computer stuff’ kind o’ day;  a good day for researching  Chrissie and Margaret Dunsire’s trip to the Antipodes.... however I have a feeling it could be a bonnie enough day.... but showery

08.30     My word it is a gorgeous morning.    It was a ‘bad hair day’ when I first went out (wind and heavy rain) but the sky was beginning to break up from the West making it very photogenic;   by the time I came out of the ‘paper shop’ the rain had stopped  and the sky was breaking up.   I’m excited.    Must go .... need another cuppa before I sort out the photos I took.


Lovely sky.
10.00    I have (finally) ordered a new, more up to date camera:  a Canon SX70 Bridge camera (with lenses built in) which makes it easier for me when out on the bike.    The Olympus that I use just now when biking, my faithful biking companion for the past 11 years, will still be taken out for a run now and again but the new camera takes much bigger files, from I will be able to have ‘pin sharp’ A3 size canvas prints made.    We have one excited bunny in Ivy Cottage;  I think I should have another cuppa.    Oh .... we have a brighter day now, having had some long sunny spells but showers are never far away.

SEDCO 714, the platform that left the Firth a few days ago, is now entering the English Channel on its way to Turkey to be broken up. 


17.00    We have a spell of sunshine and showers, then rain and now back to sunshine
and showers.   When ‘aw this wiz happenin’ I was working on the computer and found an interesting website about the old shipping lines   (actually I might know the bloke that has it I seem to recollect his name from somewhere) so I will have a good browse through it this evening.   I am hoping to get out for a short walk in the evening;  right now it’s spitting rain.

I am beginning to get the urge to go and ‘browse’ a shop .... any shop .... but ‘The Store’ in Ainster is the most likely one for me to visit.   I have a washable face mask and the gloves so I would kit up, pick up a trolley and .... welll ... I guess... join the queue.    That’s the bit that will stop me.... if there’s a queue I’ll just go for a run back home via the ‘back road’.   This won’t happen until the end of the week.


'RMS Orford' 1926 - 1940.
21.30    It’s been a funny old day and I never did get out for any exercise.   However I have been doing some more research on Margaret and Chrissie Dunsire’s trip to the Antipodes but I need to get e friend in New Zealand to do a small bit of research at that end:  I want to find out if the A’Deane family still live around Takapau.    One thing I did find out today:  Lt Marshall, (as he was when he married Margaret Hamilton A’Deane in 1926 and appended the A’Deane name onto Marshall thus becoming ‘Marshall A’Deane’) was from Keswick in Cumberland (Cumbria).    He was lost at sea in 1941 and his name is on the Keswick War Memorial as “A. Deane”.... with the 'A' being the initial of a first name;  it should actually be "W.R. Marshall A’Deane".   This research is beginning to really fascinate me.    However I am being side-tracked because it is of course Margaret and Chrissie's trip to the Antipodes I am trying to research, not the family they stayed with in New Zealand.    But I would like to find the connection between the two families.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....