Windy and wet ....


28th June 2020 (Sunday)     08..00 .... I feel in an adventurous mood but the
Wet and windy.
weather forecast for us is “light rain with a fresh breeze”, and that is exactly what we have so ... no adventure today.
    I’ve been to Elie (in the car) but the papers hadn’t been delivered so I went o the harbour,   What a difference a day makes;   goodbye Scottish summer.... welcome Scottish autumn, because that’s what it looks and feels like this morning;  it’s windy wet and cooler.   The sky does lighten occasionally so the sun may break through but it doesn’t look promising.... though the late afternoon evening might just have a few sunny spells'.   I am going to settle for a day at the computer, doing Sudoku's and havin’ a cuppa now and again.


13.30     The rain stopped for a hour (round about 10.00) so I got the bike out and went for the paper and just got back to Ivy as the rain started again.   Which was perfect as battery assisted bike don’t like  too much water.   The change of time meant had a surprise benefit;   I spoke to Brian and Moira for the first time in weeks ... they were able to tell me all the ‘Erncroach’ news;   I’ve forgotten what it was.   I also met ‘Dod’ scuttling back to the Mackie Housing complex but he didn’t have any news either.   I’ll need to go for a walk and take some photographs of the activity at the Ferry Road ‘hole’.... although it looked like they were filling it in earlier.   Yep I need to go for a ‘walk’.


It is a good day for flying a kite that's for sure.
15.00    I saw Mark and Megan’s baby daughter this afternoon;  she is lovely and is a ‘Royal Burgh’ baby.  I can’t think of the last time there was a baby born into Earlsferry;  probably one of Audrey and Tom Clayton's family.

The hole has been filled in:   all that needs to be done is the final road surface.   The local Councillor, Bill Porteous asked for the job to be 'speeded up' because of the traffic problems;  so, instead of three weeks it should be finished this week sometime.  A Councillor that gets things done.... and I was looking for news!    That is news. 


21.30    When the weather is ‘iffy’ as it has been today I do ‘computer stuff:  today I
Chrissie and Margaret Dunsire (middle).... on board the 'Orford'.
sorted out some of Chrissie and Margaret Dunsire’s photographs, taken on a three year ‘holiday’ out to Australia and New Zealand ... and points in between in the 1930’s.   The Dunsire family lived in ‘Balvonie’, next door to Ivy Cottage and were friends of Maggie’s Grandparent’s.   After their parents died, Margaret, Chrissie and David sold Balvonie in the 1960’s and moved into separate small houses:   Chrissie into the flat above Tony’s Shop, Margaret into Selina Cottage  (now The Small Cottage) and David into a wee cottage (I forget it’s name) nearby.   Jimmy and I rescued Chrissie’s photo album from a skip outside the flat when she move into St Margaret’s Care Home.  That’s the background to this story.


'Chum' their mascot.
When they (Margaret and Chrissie) reached New Zealand they stayed with the A’Deane family in 'Ashcott' ... Takapau, NZ.   I don’t know what the connection was between the A’Deane and Dunsire families but it seems to have been close.   So what was just an old ‘dumped’ photo album is already beginning to have me seriously fascinated.   Already I have found that there were two A’Deane sisters, Margaret and Violet, living with their parents on the family homestead of Ashcott;   they both married Royal Navy officers (on the same day) who were on a goodwill trip out to New Zealand and Australia with the Royal Navy in 1926.    So now you know what I do what I do when I do ‘computer stuff’.   I’ll update you after a bit more research tomorrow:   Yep it’s going to be another ‘iffy’ day.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....