Cool but dry ....


30th June 2020 (Tuesday)    06.30 ... I have a washing going through the
'Our Christine' working in Elie Bay.
machine;   the good news being that today’s rain isn’t forecast to arrive until later in the afternoon, by which time the washing should be dry.    At the moment we have a cool breeze from the West with ‘attractive’ looking clouds.... hopefully that’s all they are ....’attractive’ and not ‘active’ as far as dropping their contents go.    The roads are dry so I hope to get out on the bike after breakfast.


12.00     I have been keeping an eye on the weather and managed to get my, very nearly dry, washing in before a shower of rain came over ... the rain wasn’t supposed to happen until 16.00.   Naughty clouds.    However I am a happy boy .... my new camera is on its way and should be here tomorrow.     I’ll have a ‘lite bite lunch’ the do some research.

I’ve been out on the bike and went through Elie Estate where I found the road drier than I’d expected:  I forgot to go for the paper on my way home but did remember to go to the harbour.    The road to the harbour is still traffic free but that will change soon and, after the early part of the morning, the harbour will be ‘out of bounds’ for this boy.


Elie House.
15.00    With the afternoon being wet and me having to stay in for a delivery tomorrow I decided to ‘bite the bullet’ and take a trip to ‘The Store’ (Anstruther).    I didn’t have a list in mind, just a browse to see how the shop was operating, and on the way round I’d pick up ‘stuff’..   After I’m ‘moored up’ in the ‘Store’ car park I donned mask and gloves, found trolley and bumbled in.    The first thing I noticed was that I was the only one I could see that was wearing a mask and gloves... and that I had to follow the arrows.    So ‘nae problem’ at all.    I picked up fruit (kiwi fruit for the first time in three months) and veg on the way round, toffee yogurts  (my favourite) some tines, marmalade  bread and that was more or less ‘it’.    ‘It’ added up to £32 so I must have got ‘goodies as well!   The cashier’s were behind a shield so nae problem paying.   The most surprising thing of the whole mission was that, I think I was the only shopper  wearing a mask and gloves. 
  

20.30    This has been a different kind of day for me:  I’ve been to ‘The Store’ and
Busy sky and a lovely beach.
browsed up and down the aisles.... and it’s the furthest I’ve been in the car since March 20th.    I was surprised by the lack of face masks and gloves though there was hand sanitizer at the entrance so I guess I don’t need to take the gloves with me.... you have to assume everyone uses the sanitizer and therefore no virus can get into the shop or onto anything in it.   Good in theory but not in practice, as I saw at least two people going in without using the sanitizer: however I really enjoyed the feeling of being back to some kind of normal.   I might venture to B n Q’s in Leven next.



Chrissie and Margaret Dunsire:    I don’t think there is a family connection between the Dunsire’s and the A’Deane’s.  

Ashcott Homestead today.
Ashcott Homestead originated in the 1850’s when two brothers, John and Walter Tucker, from Ashcott in Somerset settled there.   They had worked on a few sheep stations (New Zealand is covered in sheep)and  got parcel of land, cleared it and set up their own sheep station.    Both brothers made trips back to England, Walter in 1860;  he didn’t go back to New Zealand and eventually  emigrated to Canada;   John came back to England in 1863 to marry Maria Bayly.     It is now that the name “A’Deane” comes in.:  To get a large bequest that Maria’s Grandfather (his mother was a “Deane”) had left her, John had to change his name from Tucker to “A’Deane” .... this was done by Deed Poll in 1865.   John went back to  Ashcott Homestead (New Zealand) with his new wife and settled down to life as a well to do farmer, with a huge amount of land on which he kept 18,000 sheep and 800 head of cattle.   He became deeply involved with the local area, eventually becoming a member of Hawke’s Bay
Billiard room.
Provincial Council and local philanthropist. 
 The original Homestead was enlarged and was converted from a bungalow to two storey building in the 1890’s and stood at the end of a 14 kilometre driveway where they could entertain, and have house, guests.   By the middle 1920’s the guest book contained some internationally well known names including The Prince of Wales who went on to become King Edward VIII. Lord Jellicoe, Lord Baden Powell and... Margaret and Chrissie Dunsire from Earlsferry!    I assume it became a Guest House ‘open’ to paying customers which is why Chrissie and Margaret ended up staying there.   I will have to do a bit more research to find out if there was some connection between the A’Deane and Dunsire families.
Staircase.
The building remained in the A’Deane family until 1970 when Margaret (Mrs Marshall A’Deane) died.    It was locked up but ended up being used to store grain and hay and eventually became a hippy/artists commune for a while before it  was declared an Historic building, in 1983, and totally renovated by its new owners.  Ashcott Homestead stands in 10 acres of the original land holding just off Highway 50 so is in a perfect place for tourists.

Photos courtesy Ashcott Homestead website.





Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....