Chilly morning ....

24th April 2024 (Wednesday)    08.00 ....  There's a chilly wind from the North, making,


what 
should be a bonnie Spring morning, feel more like a winter one.   I won't be travelling far today.   It's going to be a day for the computer.   I've already been browsing some of my older photos.... so I'll be doing more of that .... and a bit o' writing, if I get into the mood.

12.30   I am saddened and vexed today;  saddened because Tom has died, and vexed because I missed Tom's funeral yesterday.  It was a big shock when Myra told me on Monday that Tom had died.  It doesn't seem that long since I was speaking to Tom outside the 'paper shop'.   I wouldn't have been able to go to the funeral but I might have managed to go to the 'wake' in the Ferry Hall.  Tom was an Elie boy, who had been part of Elie and Earlsferry forever.... and will be sadly missed.  I'll miss our little chats outside the 'paper shop'... and the 'toot' on the horn when he passed by in the van or car.   My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

Gannet.

I've been for the paper(s) and down to the harbour, where I was pleased to see that the Gannets are back.   I 
imagine there will be fewer of them this year and can only hope that they  have a successful breeding season.   After the harbour I came home by way of  the Balbuthie road and Kinneuchar.

17.00   Life is full of surprises!   This afternoon I was having a browse outside the gate, when a car went down Ferry Road and the driver waved.  I thought "that looked like Eck Dowie".   Any way the car disappeared round the corner so I continued 'browsin'.   The car appeared again coming up Ferry Road... and stopped!   It was Eck Dowie!... whom I hadn't seen for nigh on 10 years.  Wellll .... we had one good old catch up: from our swimming evenings at Shell bay;  that must have started in 1953.    All the Colinsburgh youths (I remember being a 'youth') learned to swim at Shell Bay, then graduated to diving off the rocks at Kincraig Point.  We used to go dookin' nearly every evening in the summer time.  I think it's called 'wild swimming' now.   Those were the 'good old days'!   And they were good old days.   We had a 'good old' reminisce... so much so that we forgot I'd put the kettle 'on'.  I must spend more time browsin' at the front gate!

20.45    This has been a different kind of day for me;  the weather kept me indoors mostly, but luckily I
was at the gate at the right time.   It was great talking to Alec and harking back to our younger days;  mind you it reminded us that our youthful days are passing.    Alec mentioned that Anstruther (where he now lives) is changing faster than ever; as is the whole of the East Neuk.   Of course, 'change' is happening all the time;  it's only as we get older that it becomes seriously noticeable.  I've enjoyed myself today but it has me thinking of 'change';  and now I'm worrying, about our planet ....Mother Earth! 

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....