Overcast with a frisky ESE breeze ....

18th August 2023 (Friday)    08.30    The sky is heavily overcast and there’s


a brisk ESE breeze.... with the chance of light showers;  not ‘iggzactly’ a cheerful looking morning.    The whole of the UK is experiencing inclement weather today;  ‘sunny Sussex’, and much of the south of England, has a weather warning for thunderstorms:  which are forecast to move North and reach us tomorrow.   I’m thinking ‘early hibernation’.   Actually the ‘plan’ is to have morning coffee at Chapel Green.... assuming it isn’t too windy.... and  the showers are somewhere else.   

16.00   I enjoyed my nostalgic half hour at Chapel Green with ‘The Boss’ at morrrrning coffee time;  but it was cold in the frisky easterly breeze.   Rabbie’s Tours (Edinburgh) had a group at the Chapel when I was there but I didn’t go to ‘annoy’ them, as I’d usually do; I was feeling shy!  Although the village (Earlsferry) looks much the same as it did 14 years ago many of the houses have changed;  when I think about it, Maggie’s ancestral family have witnessed huge changes in the Royal Burgh of Earlsferry infrastructure in the 300 years (at least) that they have lived in ‘The Ferry’. 

Cruise ship 'Nieuw Statendam'.

The ‘Nieuw Statendam’ cruise ship was going up to South Queensferry when I was up there;  that’s later than the usual time (05.30) for cruise ships to go up.   I’m assuming that this will give the passengers a chance to spend some more time in Edinburgh and to take in the Festival.   Alice and Lucas (grandson) are going to the tattoo this evening; I hope it stays dry, but imagine it will be cool in the easterly wind.
 

19.00    I’ve just been out shutting the gate and noticed that we’ve had rain:  I hope it isn’t raining in Edinburgh.... it would be spoil the tattoo for participants and spectators.  It’s not raining here now but it’s not a bonnie evening; in fact we are to have heavy overnight rain.   Tomorrow’s forecast is ‘light showers and a fresh breeze’.   I might get out on the bike during a sunny spell!

 

Here is my one attempt at poetry.   Sadly Maggie died a few weeks later.  

‘Growin Old’ .... (2009)

 

I’m likin’ old –

Wellll …apart from my knees!

-  everything cauld,

and the occasional sneeze!

 

I get up in the mornin’-

give the mirror a glower!

and think ”that’s got tae go” –

as I head for the shower.

 

Singing in the shower as I

check aw ma ‘plooks’,

I give what’s left o’ my hair

the fondest of looks.

 

Watching the water gurgle slowly awa’

I think- “it’ll rin a lot faster

     when I’ve nae hair ata.”

But… there’s nae point in thinkin’ o’ hair that is gone,

there’s a braw sunny mornin’ needin’

things tae be done!

 

At last I get roadit’ an oot

 ….. on my bike,

Maggie “nippin ma lugs”

as I whip oot o’ sight.

“I’m awa tae the Paper Shop in Elie my Dear”.

 “Dinnae be lang” shouts Maggie… as I fast disappear!

 

Twa hours later and…. I‘m back at the gate –

“I’ve meandered roond Elie Estate”.

“I’ll give ye Elie Estate” says The Boss.

“We’re supposed tae be shoppin -

now that’s a dead loss”!

 

What I like best…

    about getting old,

Is the fact that Alber’ is becoming

    mair bold.

“What’s that Maggie?    You’re looking for me?

You want me tae make you a

    fresh pot o’ tea”.

“OK my walking flower arrangement I’ll do what I’m told”!

…..in comes the Auld Alber’ and oot goes….

    the bold!

 

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....