Crackin' mornin' ....

21st May 2022 (Saturday)    07.30 ....I’m feeling frolicsome and we have a


beautiful morning for frolicking: It’s warm and sunny with a brisk breeze from the southwest..... so... it’s a good day for doing my measuring at Kinneuchar;   and visiting Shona.   I’m having a cuppa before getting the bike oot and bumbling round the villages.   I’m going to have another cuppa.    

11.00    It is a cracker o’ a mornin’ and I have been out enjoying it.   I will go up to Kinneuchar after morrrrrning coffee (and after the bike battery is charged).   I bought a couple of scones to take up to Shona, though I have still to get the paper (didn’t have room in the bag after I’d been to the baker.   I’m going to check the progress with the battery charging.... and have a cuppa and a goodie (not one of Shona’s scones).


19.38  The bike battery wasn’t fully charged until lunch time and, by that time the sky clouded had over so I never went to Kinneuchar.    What I did do was research medieval churches.   I bought ‘How to Read a Church by Richard Taylor, an excellent book that covers the whole subject in depth, when Jim and I were part of a team recording kirks for ‘Scotland’s Churches’ a few years ago.   So the day wasn’t wasted;   and I have a fully charged bike for tomorrow morning.  

Even though it was cloudier it has been a nice day, though slightly cooler than it was this morning.   I’ll going out first thing tomorrow morning;  it seems that’s the best time of day for me.  Fatigue sets in after lunch.

21.30    Funnily enough I’ve enjoyed today even though I haven’t been physically active;  research is always interesting.  I am working from sketches, done in 1818 by Mr J Sime, of the kirk that replaced the pre reformation one; adapting what remained of the auld kirk and  erecting a kirk to suit the new rules of the Protestant religion.  To that end I am going to come up with a ground plan, based on Mr Sime’s sketches, and ground plan, of the kirk they built; 


and a plan of what I think the  pre reformation kirk would have looked like.  All local pre Reformation kirks were all based on a standard internal ‘plan’....with individual local differences according to how rich the congregation was.   It was skilled medieval masons that built the arches we see at Kinneuchar.  

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....