Windy and damp ....

 

7th September 2020 (Monday)     08.30 ... the colour of the sky affects how


feel:  this morning we have a grey sky with occasional spells of light mist and I’m finding it hard to feel positive.  I look up the weather forecast and find that tomorrow we are going to have ‘sunny spells’ so I immediately feel like going back to bed for 24 hours.    The forecast for today isn’t that bad by Scottish standards;  ‘light rain and  a fresh breeze’ at first, then overcast with a frisky wind later’.     My ‘negative’ feeling is probably caused by the fact that I see a 'For Sale' board  in ‘Airlie’ garden.   Janis is moving.    I’ll have watched every house on the street change hands more than once, apart from Cameron’s (Katherine Villa), .... and I can even remember when Cameron moved in.  When Maggie and I married (1961) there were 14 houses on Ferry Road ....  all 14 occupied ‘full time’:  now there are 18 (4  flats at Geordie Graham’s and the 'Small Cottage') with only 4 full time residents;   although, luckily, most are second homes, .... which is the way society is nowadays.    I’m feeling ‘auld’ this morning.

I haven’t been out for the paper, but I should get out on the bike later... if it isn’t too windy.    I feel the need to get up to Balcarres.   I should be able to do that tomorrow.


Now for a change of subject:   Swifts.    Not so many years ago Maggie and I would sit out  on a balmy August evening  and be rewarded by the evocative sound of a flock of Swifts, screeching their way over the rooftops, feeding in preparation for their migratory flight to warmer climes.     For the past few summers I haven’t heard that sound:    Swifts are now on the ‘Amber’ List of endangered species in the UK and will soon be on the ‘Red’ List.  This year I saw only one Swift.   It is our loss, brought on mostly by unthinking human activity.  

12.30     I’m feeling happier now:   I went to the beach for a short walk and the brisk breeze soon blew the ‘melancholy’ feeling away.    I also met Ian and his wife, who are on holiday next door, and chatted to them;   that was what I really needed;  someone to talk too.   It’s a nice enough morning for being out but I did get caught with one short shower;   I sheltered behind a beach hut so it didn’t bother me.

16.00    I’m feeling extra happy now;  I cut down a Buddleia bush.    Pruning things (this was serious pruning) always helps me relax;   that and the fact that the sun is breaking through.   I’m thinking I will get up to Balcarres tomorrow.

21.00   After a gloomy start, I ended up with a busy and enjoyable day;  the weather

Links Road - Earlsferry.

improved in the afternoon so I went for a daunder up to the Pony Field and golf course, .... and I’d also hacked the Buddleia bush down.      The forecast is good for tomorrow but it will be windier so Balcarres may not be ‘on’.;  but Stage 10 of the Tour is on so I’ll have that on the tele... and I can do a bit more pruning;  there’s another bush I want to cut back.   Tomorrow could be a busy day.


Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....