Beautiful morning .....

25th July 2021 (Sunday)    10.30 .... Anna Kiesenhofer;  my word she shook up


the ladies cycling world, especially the Dutch ladies cycling world:  Anna won the Gold Medal in the Road Race, in humid hot and hilly conditions.   She was part of a breakaway, more or less from the start of the race, and ended up, on her own for the last 40 kilometres.   Anna won the race finishing 75 seconds in front of the Dutch cyclist, Annemiek van Vleuten (who actually thought she had finished first):  the Bronze Medal was won by Eliza Longo Borghini (Italy).  

I’ve been up to Chapel Green on my bike, before taking the car to get the paper, then along to ‘The Store’ in Anstruther.   The ‘store’ shelves were (mostly) well stocked; the beer shelves being empty but that didn’t bother me.   It’s a beautiful morning, with a touch of autumn about it when I was out.... now I will have a cuppa then do some ‘work’.   I don’t have much to do, but it will take me all day, .... working sporadically.   Oh I like that word ‘sporadically’.... I must use it oftener.


17.30    Sporadic – ‘occurring at intervals that have no apparent pattern’.... and that is how ‘work’ has been for me this lovely day; it has been the kind day for this boy resting.   The beach was a popular place today;  I saw loads of people making for the beach, some carrying paddle boards, when I was working ... sporadically.   It was too hot for me to venture out.    Paddle boarding has become a popular way of enjoying the water...  the warm weather and calm water is  perfect for it.  




22.00    Annemiek van Vleuten, who was second in today’s Women’s Cycling road race said of the result... “This is an example of what happens if you ride an important race like this without communication”:    meaning that, had the Dutch riders, four of them, known that Anna Kiesenhofer was in still out front with 20 kilometres to go, they would have got together and ridden, as a team, to beat her.   That’s what they were expected to

do, but they forgot she was there!    All I can say is that probably 95% of the folks watching were willing Anna on, wanting her to win.   Communication in bike road racing has been used since the mid 1990’s;   it doesn’t prevent crashes happening.... but can be used to dictate tactics... as is done in Tour de France.   The best rider on the day, won Olympic Gold.




   

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....