Warm and overcast ....


4th August 2019 (Sunday)     07.00  .... there’s a heavy bank of cloud
I see a touch of autumn colour  in the grass.
coming in from the North Sea  that looks heavy enough to give us a bit of dampness.    I’m thinking (hoping) the sun will burn it back, but at the moment we have a grey, warm, morning.    I’ll get the bike out in a wee while , once I see how the weather is going, and after another cuppa;  heavy thundery showers are forecast for later in the afternoon,  but they are ‘hit or miss’ so let’s hope they miss us.   



10.00    Well ... I did the ‘Grand Tour’, got back home, put the bike into the Hutte, then organised breakfast.   By the time I went out 10 minutes later to charge the bike battery, it was raining.   Not very heavy but definitely wet.   I doubt if the rain is ‘on’ for the day... just passing showers/rainy spells.
When I was at Chapel Green I met two lassies out jogging:  then met them again, about 20 minutes later, jogging along The Terrace... they weren’t hanging around.   Not like me;  I’ve got ‘hanging around’ down to a Fine Art:  that said it looks like I won’t be hang about any more today.   It’s a good day for pottering around Ivy.


The rhododendron removal continues.
15.30    And potter around Ivy I have!    There’s a wee ants nest;  no there’s a nest of wee ants under the slabs outside the Hutte door, and they are the busiest, most aimless ants I have ever seen.    When Steve and I studied ants nests in Cyprus, the ants were always doing something purposeful.... you know taking food back to the nest etc.   They were also bigger... some ants were fully half an inch long.   The ants I have are 3 millimetres long at the most;  but they can move fast, albeit aimlessly.    Occasionally two of them will bump into each other, stop for about a second then scuttle off.   It’s like they are looking for something.   Then I saw a Queen ant, with a new set of wings, and she too is wandering around without purpose; presumably she has come from the nest... leaving my wee ants Leaderless;  but refusing to use her wings.    I know that ants have nuptial flights at this time of year, usually on a humid day as it is today.    But even I know that you can’t have nuptials on your own!.... and I lead  sheltered life in the
After the rain.
Ferry.    You need both boy and girl ants, with wings, from different nests, to do the mating thing. It has been an interesting afternoon.   I need a cuppa.


Oh .... the clouds are beginning to build, and there is a storm (with lightning strikes) to the Southwest of Edinburgh... round about Balerno.... as I type.   There’s also a storm to the West of Dunfermline, and one coming over the Firth making for Kirkcaldy. I definitely need that cuppa!  

 19.00    The storm I thought was heading for Kirkcaldy...  didn’t;  it came out way instead.    We had a few local lightning strikes... and loads of rain.   The rain cleaned the streets, and flooded the usual bits, when the drains couldn’t cope.    There’s another storm coming over the Firth and can hear the thunder rolling in the distance.   We aren’t being bothered by dust.   
Finished bedroom.
I had thought of going to the beach but saw how dark the sky was to the south so I photographed the bedroom instead.    It, the bedroom, doesn’t look that different... only tidier:  the paintwork has had a wipe down, and there’s been much ‘ooverin and dustin’.... so I guess it must be cleaner.   It took long enough;  at least it seemed to, but I only worked intermittently.   I’m happy.

20.00    Michael phoned to say that they are travelling up tomorrow night, and will arrive on Tuesday morning.    That gives me another day to polish the furniture.   Then, because I have already polished the furniture, it could be a ‘play day’. The forecast is for ‘sunny spells with the chance of showers now and again.... only common light ones.   

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....