Quieter ....

25th September 2021 (Saturday)   11.30 .... Although the wind has


moderated (F3) the Skiff Regatta has been postponed because the wind is on the ‘cusp of naughtiness’ and you can’t take chances, especially if you have inexperienced rowers in the crew(s)... and Elie Bay is still too busy with other water users to have an alternative, inshore, course.   It must have been a hard decision to make.   Jennifer has done a lot of baking for the day, and I have gained a plate of tray bakes to go with my morrrrrrrning coffee.... so ‘it’s an ill wind that doesn’t blow someone some good’ right enough.

I’d been out early to catch the sunrise from Chapel Green.... and did the villages tour, finishing up at the harbour.    By the time I was back at the Breakwater(without a paper) the beach was busy (with walkers) and Angus was getting his Water Sports stuff ready for the day’s activities.

Back at Ivy I had a cuppa, then decided to take another trip to the harbour to see what was happening.    Helen, James and Jennifer were already there contemplating the water, which was still iffy;  so the decision to postpone was the right one, albeit a hard decision to come too, because the water could go either way.... smoother or rougher depending on  the fickle-ness of the wind.


19.30     The wind dropped to F1 - 2 in the afternoon and conditions would have been perfect for the Regatta:  however it was too late by that time.....that’s how wind can be on the water.    I remember one time Jimmy and I went for a sail in  a F3-4  SW wind:   we headed way out towards Edinburgh then tacked in towards West Wemyss.... and the wind dropped, leaving us becalmed in the middle of Largo Bay.   We put the kettle on and had a cuppa, caught a few Mackerel and eventually fired up the engine to get back home.  Tricky ‘stuff’ wind.... and it gets really tricky when you have to decide whether something is either ‘go’ or .... ‘not go’.

I have been out on the bike three times today;  only around the villages.   When I saw


that the wind had dropped to practically nothing I decided to go up to Chapel Green in the middle of the afternoon and have a seat in the sun.   I thought it would be quiet, as in not busy, by I was wrong: Chapel Breen had a steady stream of folk out enjoying the warm sunshine.... just like me.    I forgot that this was a holiday weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....