VE Day anniversary ....


8th May 2020 (Friday)    08.30 .... 75th Anniversary of the end of the
VE Day window - Old Post Office, Elie.
European part of WWII.
Where was I on that day?   We were living at ‘Myrebird’, Crathes (Deeside) and the one memory I have of that day was an aeroplane flying low over our house with two soldiers sitting with their legs dangling out of the plane, waving to us and everybody they flew over I imagine.    They were probably part of some celebration in Aberdeen.    I assume the ‘door’ they were sitting  in was the ‘door’ where paratroopers would have exited the plane;  they were hanging onto a bar across the front of them;  that was my memory of VE Day.    We were glad that the European part of war was ended but my Mum was worried about her brother, my Uncle Lewis, who was a POW of the Japanese in Burma.    The notorious ‘Death Railway’ was unheard of.... and wouldn’t be until after ‘VJ’ Day on 15th August (1945).   Anyway that is my memory of VE
'Old Post Office' window. - Elie.
Day.   Now back to ‘today’.    The villages can’t have a VE Day party but folks have bunting along the front of their houses, and the Union Flag is flying (mine too)... so we are joining in as well as we can in these restricting times.    The BBC has coverage from all over the country so I’ll watch that ‘on and off’ during the day.   Graham and Elizabeth have decorated the ‘Old Post Office’ window with a really evocative VE display .    This is a really important day to celebrate and  many people lost their lives so that we can do so... ‘They will always be remembered’.
At the moment the weather is a bit iffy looking and drizzle is mentioned in the forecast, but that’s probably for the hinterlands (Colinsburgh and Kinneuchar).    Right now I see ‘bloo’ sky bumbling our way so I might get out on the bike later;  after I’ve done some work.   I nearly forgot:   it was 62 years ago today that the bold ‘Alber’ set off to begin his National Service at Aldershot.

21.00    We’ve had another gorgeous summer-like day and I have taken advantage of it with a mixture of work and play;  a small amount of play and a lot of work.   Hey that’s how easy it is to make ‘false news:  no wonder Big Don is on Twitter aw the time.

You need three important things when working with cactus’s:  a pair of tweezers, a roll
Emily and John's garden in Stocklinch (Somerset)
of sticky tape and a magnifying glass.   I have all three and managed to do a lot of work (my idea of a lot) which is why the aforementioned  items were required.

The villages had a good show of bunting and flags for the VE Day anniversary;  as did the whole of the UK.   The News channels had good coverage of what was going on everywhere.

This is a Bank Holiday weekend;   a quiet Bank Holiday weekend I may add.    Actually I kinda like the villages ‘quiet’;   on a normal Bank holiday weekend  they are usually too overcrowded.    Mind you I will be glad when things settle down to a new
It was a warm afternoon but the water must have been cold.
normal.... that, I suspect, will be a long way off for us older folks.

‘Nae plan' for tomorrow;  the forecast is good for mot of the day but the temperature is set to plummet later in the afternoon.   I plan to do a wee bit more work on the greenhouse.



Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....