Very quiet morning....

1st January 2024 (Monday)    09.30 ....  and a "Happy New Year" to everyone from a very


peaceful and quiet Elie and Earlsferry  .... in fact it's almost like the Royal Burgh bit is still asleep.   I've been up and  froli...(I was going to say frolicking around).... blundering around since 07.00, on what is a really bonnie morning.  There was a red sunrise so that probably means something we won't like later;  but right now we have a bonnie morrrrrrrrrrrrrning for doing things.
I  watched a bit of TV last night, the best bit being a repeat 'Scotch and Wry'... I enjoyed that.   Even BBC Alba was lacking something this year.... I guess it's called progress.   Meaning that I'm getting older.   Anyway I eventually brought the New Year in with Edith!

11.45    I've had busy morrrrrrrrrrning.... having done some 'ousework.   The next mission is to take the Christmas decorations and cards down and get things back to normal.... then do some 'ooverin' and maybe even dustin'.  Got to get that done before lunch.   Must 'go' ever so slight 'Flap On'.... I'm hungry.


19.30    Well... that's the first day of the new year in and it has been a good one.    The weather was kind and I took down the Christmas decorations... and even did some 'ousework.   Donald and Anne dropped in (if I remember correctly Anne was my first foot), they were on their way to the beach with the family and dropped in to deliver one of my favourite treats.... a Selkirk Bannock.   It was a actually a bonnie day for the beach, though I never went down.

Later in the afternoon Anne (of Bob fame) came in wanting to see my back;  I thought "that's different".... only to fine that she wanted to see how the work was progressing in the back garden.   The four of us (Anne was with two friends (Bob was at the 19th waiting for them) had a look round the back then they went off to join Bob;  and I went in and scratched my own back.
The 'Chrissy Decs' are down and in a bag on Iain's bed;  I am a happy boy now that the 'Man Cave'  is looking normal again.                               
Before ....


I was talking to 'M' (New Zealand) who is already on Day 2 of 2024.... how time flies right enough.   We had a chat about auld Cellardyke, and the East Neuk on general, and how the auld 'Dyker', and different East Neuk village dialects, will shortly no longer be with us; today's young folk have a world wide group of friends thanks to modern technology.   This conversation later had me thinking of other changes that I have noticed.    One of the biggest being the huge increase in the number of cars, and the infrastructure (roads and carparks) to accommodate them  and mechanization in general especially noticeable on the land.   Then there's the birdlife;  already the Elie and Earlsferry swifts have been relegated to history... and teu ... oops... I was about write teuchats (reverting to my roots)....  Lapwings are on the Red list in the UK.  Right enough you rarely see a flock of lapwings, with their distinctive unsynchronised way of flying now. Most folk nowadays would miss their mobile phone before  they'd miss Swifts or Teuchats. 
... and after.

It would be a sad world if only humans, and the vermin that get a good living from humans, were the only living things left on the planet.  Thankfully there are people working hard to reverse the damage that homo sapiens has done... and continues to do.    Jings that all started with 'M' mentioning the 'Dyker' dialect!



22.30   I'm looking forward to Alice and Izzy doing a 'Meals on Wheels' New Year visit tomorrow....!    I'd better get the 'oover out and do some de-man caving.   I've been watching Pt 1 (of 4), of 'Mr Bates' v The Post Office.  It's going to be very interesting viewing.   The TV hasn't been bad today;  I had the Vienna New Year Concert in the morning ... and bits of Lawrence of Arabia in the afternoon.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....