Bitterly cold wind ....

5th April 2021 (Monday)     07.00 .... Mmmmmm .... the garden thermometer is


at -2C but the air feels more like -6c;  it’s bitterly cold in the wind, we’ve had a light dusting of snow .... but hey ho.... I’m vertical and rarin’ to go.   I’ll take the car up to Balcarres and have a walk up the Den later in the day.... once the thermometer is showing 6C..... or higher.  There is a frisky wind at the moment but it is forecast to become even friskier in the afternoon with .... er.... heavy snow showers.   The kettle will be ‘hot’ all I’m thinkin’.  

09.00     The garden thermometer is now reading 1C.... and we have a bright and sunny, albeit rather cold, morning.    I haven’t been any further than The Hutte and the gate ....oh it’s a bonnie day for being out, well wrapped up and sheltered from the wind, but too cold for me just now.   I have been ‘working’ (drawing) and intend go out .... later in the morning. 


16.30    I went out (in the car) to take a walk round the filter ponds at the  old mine workings near Lathallan Mill.   It’s not the best time to go there but it is sheltered and it was warm in the sun.   The ponds(3) have been operational for about 20 years;  before that the drainage water from the old coal workings went into the Den Burn (probably the Lathallan Burn where the ponds are);  it’s the Den Burn on Balcarres and the Cocklemill Burn by the time it enters the Firth at Largo Bay.... at the South end corner of Largo beach.   I enjoyed the walk and had a run though Balcarres Estate on the way home.    I rarely go onto the estate (in the car) on a working day:   but I was feeling adventurous and luck was with me today and I didn’t meet any tractors.   I have actually enjoyed ‘today’.... though I have to stay out of the cold, ‘cos it’s the main trigger for (my) asthma.   I have been doing what I said I'd do;   sitting in the Hutte drawing.

21.00     I’ve had a good day .... even though I did spend most of it inside.     I got a lot of

The Den burn at Lathallan.

‘work’ done and enjoyed the short walk round Lathallan Mill ‘Mine Water Treatment Station’.   I never went to the harbour.... in fact I didn’t even go for a paper:  I must do both tomorrow morning.    It’s actually going to be colder tomorrow but not as windy;   however I won’t hang around the harbour.  I might do a bit of Balcarres Den.... from the Deil’s Lodge;  it depends on how cold the air is as to how far I go. 

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....