The swallows are back ..... ....


4th May 2018 (Friday) ..... 08.00     Warmer today?     It didn’t feel warmer
The first of the scarecrow hunters outside Harbour House.
when I was out on the bike.    I could see the sun shining over at Edinburgh, so it’s probably warmer over there,.....  and along the ‘Sooth side’.    Here , in the East Neuk, we have a heavily overcast sky, with a brisk, and cool,  South Westerly breeze.    The temperature should rise later, and the sun might break through, though it disnae look like that will happen soon.    I need a hot mug o’ coffee.



20.30     The villages are filling up for the May Day holiday weekend;  and the weather forecast is ‘good’.    I’ve been out on the bike twice;  it was warmer on the hands the second time.    That was when I went up for coffee at Harbour House.    At that time scarecrows were beginning to appear at various locations around the villages.    They are all in place now;  though we may get a few ‘late arrivals’ tomorrow morning.    I’ve taken a few photos but I’ll do a circuit of the villages tomorrow, on the bike, and
Sandwich Terns on the Cockstail Rocks.
try to get photos of them all.

Later in the afternoon I went to the beach, and I’m happy to say that the Terns, Swallows and House Martins are back with us for the summer season.    I know that “one Swallow doth not a summer make”... but this afternoon we had dozens of them feeding along above beach.    Perhaps we will get a decent summer this year.    The Swifts should be here in a couple weeks;  they are the with us for only the summer period.... arriving in May and leaving in August.

We had a small flock of Sandwich Terns in the bay this afternoon, on passage to their
Scarecrow with a view.
breeding ground further north.    They breed in colonies over the summer and migrate as far south as South Africa for the winter.     Sandwich Terns, (they get their name from Sandwich in Kent where they were first identified), are on the amber list of birds in need of protection.   They no longer breed at Sandwich.  

The weather forecast is ‘good’ for tomorrow, so I’ll get ‘out and about early.    The villages will be busy with scarecrow hunters over the holiday weekend.    I’ll just bumble around on my bike.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....