Armistice Day .....

11th November 2017 (Armistice Day) .....    It is a beautiful morning... bright and sunny, and, thankfully, the wind has dropped, so it doesn’t feel as cold as it was yesterday.   
Last night I did a bit of thinking, and  realised that I’m going to have to readjust my life now that Jimmy is no longer with us.... so I have been for an early morning walk;  the ‘roond the Chapel’ walk, and a bit of reminiscing.
  
This being Armistice Day, Elie Church is ‘open’ from 10.30 – 11.30 so I shall pop in there for quiet remembrance of those that had their lives blown away in the Great War... and all subsequent wars.  

 
Killed in action April 1918.
21.30     The church was not busy at 11.00....that said, it was the place to be, at Armistice time;  a quiet place to think of the millions who lost their lives in the carnage, and to reflect on the millions , military and civilian, who have lost their lives since, all over the world.   With the planet being awash with weaponry, it’s hardly surprising that there are wars.

With the weather being so nice I went for another walk in the afternoon;  this time I moored the car up in the Ardross lay-by, and walked the coastal path, from the farm cottages, along to the new Safari Lodges at Catch a Penny.    It was a really nice day for a walk.... and warm in the sun.    The safari lodges surprised me .... they are not what I expected to find.    I went there looking for some kind of tent.   Tent? .... the only similarity between a lodge and a tent is canvas that keeps the rain out.    The lodges come with built in fire-pit, individual wind turbines .... and all other ‘mod cons’ required for er ....  glamping!     They, the lodges, are not tiny!    Impressive place to camp though,  .... the view is something else.    I had the desire to walk all the way to St
Safari Lodges .... near Ardross Farm.
Monans but decided against that;  I didn’t have my bus pass with me.   The Coastal Path was busy, so.... plenty folk to chat too.

The afternoon was spent watching Scotland v Samoa;  Scotland won 44 – 38.   Sapper, and Elizabeth came by in the afternoon .... Elizabeth was able to tell me the time of the Remembrance Service at Kinneuchar;  War Memorial (Kilconquhar) at 11.00, followed by the church service, then a wreath laying service at Elie War Memorial at 12.10.    The weather if forecast to be, ‘bright, sunny .... and cold, with a brisk wind’.

Photographs : Top – Poem written by Major John McCrae, Middle – Private Frederick Bruce, Gordon Highlanders, KIA April 1918, and Bottom -  the Safari Lodges ....  near Ardross Farm.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Cold and overcast ....