"Red sky in the morning etc" .......

27th October 2016 (Thursday) ....     09.30     After a brilliant red sunrise I suppose we should look forward to some rough weather;  “red sky in the morning
A 'cosy' Eastern sky.
etc”..... however the weather forecast isn’t that bad for the East of Fife;   stronger wind, but mostly dry... and warmer.    Anyway, forget the bad omen stuff .... anyone being down on the beach at sunrise this morning was well rewarded by a bonnie, albeit fiery, sky as the sun appeared above the Eastern horizon.  


  21.00    The bonniest time of day was undoubtedly sunrise time;   most of the remainder of ‘today’ was ‘drab’, certainly when compared to the sunrise we had.    But, though the weather was what we could expect at this time of year, the temperature was not;  it was ‘warm, even though the wind was F5 most of the time.    I even saw a Red Admiral butterfly fluttering around the garden.... searching for somewhere to hibernate I imagine.

I decided to take a turn up to Balcarres before lunch;   I’d take the car up to Robin Gray’s Cottage (see the Auld Robin Gray by Lady Anne Lindsay, oldest daughter of the fifth Earl of Balcarres) and go for a walk up Balcarres Den.    It turned out, and I should have thought f this, that the road, (more of a path now than a road), was wet
The Colinsburgh road.
and muddy.    I persevered for nigh on quarter of a mile then decided to climb out of the den, up onto the Largoward road.    This feat was easier thought of, than done;   but I floundered onwards and upwards, through bracken, at times up to my neck, and over lopped tree branches.... and eventually had the satisfaction of being able to spot the  vehicles on the road;  I’d only been able to hear them for the previous five minutes.    I meandered down the verge until I reached ‘Robin Gray’s’ cottage.  Although this cottage is called “Robin Gray’s” it isn’t the cottage that ‘Auld Robin Gray’ lived in.... it was 400 yards or so up the den, and no
recognizable sign of it can be seen.    I might have blundered my way over the top of it when climbing up to the road.    I think Jim found what might have been some signs of it a couple of years ago.

In the afternoon I went to the ‘Drop in Cafe’ for our weekly chat, cuppa and biscuits.... there was much happy chattering going on, with plenty laughter.    The ‘cafe’ is a great
Balcarres Den.
place to unwind..... but, from information received from my Top Secret roving reporter, there’s nothing happening anywhere.  

The wind is going to moderate overnight, and it’s going to be colder tomorrow;  it might turn out to be a good drying day!   Of course it might rain, but that isn’t in the weather forecast.  

Photographs : Top – Sunrise, Middle – the Colinsburgh road from Robin Gray’s cottage, and Bottom – Balcarres Den.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....