Elie Model weekend .... ...

15th October 2016 (Saturday) ....09.00   Oh dearie me ....it looks like another bad hair day again;   it’s raining!... and it looks like it has been (raining) all
Largoward Village Hall
night:  not a morning for this ‘boy’ going out to play that’s for sure.    The rain is forecast to peter out during the afternoon, leaving us with a.... ‘bright sunny and romantic evening’.    The weather forecaster didn’t say the word ‘romantic’, but I’ve fallen ‘in love’ with the lassie;  hence ‘romantic’.   I’d fall ‘in love’ with her mair if she forecast ‘bright and sunny’.    I shall ‘hibernate’.

Last night Tam (Pryde) and I were speaking about when we were younger, and Tam mentioned Jim Webster and his wife Emma.    The last time I saw Jim and Emma must have been in 1957/8 before I went to do my National service,
Crane in at Elie
and they went orf to Australia.   I remember dancing with Emma in Largoward Hall... Jim would be there with Emma ..... and me with Maggie.   Reminiscing;  it’s that kind o’ day.    



21.30    This turned out to be an interesting day, for me, even though the only real ‘bright sunny spell’ lasted about an hour.    After the rain ‘nearly’ stopped, I went out, on the bike, for a quick run up to get the paper, when I spotted a notice board pointing out that this was the ‘Elie Model Weekend’, so I thought, .... “hey I’d like to get in among the models”.   To facilitate this sudden alteration to the ‘plan for today’, I bought a map:  I didn’t need the ‘map’, being that I knew where everything was anyway, but that’s how the organisers make money.   The maps cost £1..... and all the
Ian checking the Scalextric track
money is spent on local community projects, to help keep our wee villages pristine, pretty... and welcoming for our visitors.    
I began my tour by visiting the ‘Scout Hut’ wherein I found three model railway layouts, and a cake table.   Being, both a model railway, and cake enthusiast I left the ‘Scout Hut’ (that isn’t it’s proper name by the way... I think it’ proper name is the ‘Wee Kirk Hall’) with some new ideas for my model railway, and sweet things for “Puku”.    Now where was I ... oh ... then went up to the Elie Church Hall to fine a variety of models on show, some of which you can actually have fun with..... such as Scalextric.    Anyway Ian was playi ... er checking if everything was working when I was in.... and from what I saw everything was working excellently.... the wee cars were t
Small part of the PO display
ravelling at the equivalent of 150 mph.  

  
Also in the Kirk Hall were ‘Dinky Toys’ (Our “Primrose” was the big surprise here), model cars, and aeroplanes, and a motor racing circuit on screen where you could test your racing skills.     Very interesting:   I’ll most likely be back tomorrow.

On the way home I dropped into the “Old Post Office” where Graham has on  display, his collection of Post Office ‘Dinky’ vans and other PO memorabilia.   I found this display really educational.   Elizabeth was i/c when I was in today.     Steve’s helicopters are also on display in the ‘Old Post Office’ along with his helicopter simulator.     Elizabeth had a go on that:   I have never seen a helicopter climb vertically at speed, but this one did;   however it didn’t last... it bumbled its way to
Elizabeth  on the helicopter simulator
earth like an autumn leaf...impacting Planet Earth (simulated version) with, a sort of gentle, ‘crrrrrrump’.     It’s a tricky business flying a helicopter.


I have still to visit the Bowling Club where the Thomas the Tank engine layout is on display:  I’ll do that tomorrow afternoon.    The morning will be taken up driving Jimmy to Leven for freezer stuff;   he needs food.


Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....