73rd Anniversary of D-day landings......

6th June 2017 (Tuesday) .... 73rd Anniversary of the D-Day landings.

It is windy (from the NNE) and wet, as was forecast;   definitely not a morning for ‘This Boy’ having his haircut.    It seems that the next 24 hours is for jumping in
Ivy rose.
puddles and “Singing in the Rain”:   the sun is forecast to not make a breakthrough,  (the rain is to persevere), until tomorrow morning.   At 10.00.    I might wrap up and go for a quick mosey down to the beach, because the rain is not that heavy, and it didn’t feel cold when I was out at Ivy gate, contemplating things.   I’ll have another cuppa first!  


  22.30     Mmmmmm... this has been a bad bad hair day, with much dampness about:   so much that I never even got down to the beach at all today!    I did set out to go, but, by the time I got myself suitably wrapped up, it was bucketing again, and that’s how it’s been all day:   rain, of different intensity, but always wet, all day!    I decided to forget the beach and baked a double batch of scones instead,... that took  me until lunch time.    Jimmy arrived just as the first batch were ready so we had one each, spread with a scraping of butter (Anchor) and lashings of syrup .... of the “Out of the strong came sweetness” fame.  (Tate and Lyle).    That ‘line’ comes from a story in the Bible .... Samson killed a lion with his bare hands, and, on passing its body later was surprised to find that bees had made a ‘nest’ inside the carcass.    He ate the honey
Another Ivy rose.
comb.   Anyway that quote has been on syrup tins since 1885.    One more thing;   I think I know why my scones don’t ‘rise’ .... the dough isn’t firm enough and they spread out, rather than up.    I’ll try heavy duty dough the next time.


I was writing a shopping list after lunch when Jimmy turned up;   we decided to go to Sainsbury’s to have a cuppa and I’d do my shopping, using the list, plus adding to it as I browsed my way along the aisles.     Not a good thing .... oh the list is good, browsing is not!

Jim and Jimmy came down for our weekly blether, .... I dished up the scones (with syrup) ... and some of the “Puku” fodder that I bought.
Tomorrow is going to be ‘summer’ for this week, after the sun breaks up what clouds remain after this spell of rain.    I shall extract myself from my bed, get the bike out,
Peony Rose bud.
and go up for the papers.   Hmmmm ... that disnae read as it should;   I’ll put some claes ‘on’,  before I go for the papers.
Photographs : all three taken in Ivy garden this afternoon.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Cold and overcast ....