Kite boarder at Elie harbour .... ....

24th June 2017 (Saturday) ... 08.30    It is ‘bright and very breezy’ this morning, with the chance of some, unwelcome, blustery showers;   ‘unwelcome’
... and I have washing out!
because I have a washing on the line, and, it is ‘St Monans Sea Queen Day’, the oldest ‘Gala Day’, harking back to the early days of fishing, in the East Neuk coastal villages.
  There are shower clouds scampering over as I type;   as long as they scamper over to the North Sea I'm happy.


10.00    Having been down to the beach I can now tell you that the wind is from the WNW, F5 -6,  and  not warm;   also, the showers clouds are beginning to look serious.

20.00    We didn’t catch any showers locally, but they could be seen over towards Edinburgh;   my washing is dry and ‘in’.
Kite boarder  .... Elie.
Jimmy and I went along to St Monans to ‘Sea Queen Day’ but it was disappointing;    bunting stretching from lamp post to lamp post, and some banners were the only visible signs down at the harbour.    Apparently it was all ‘happening’ in the Town Hall.    The last time we visited the Sea Queen there were stalls along the Shore Street, with live music and lots of people.   Perhaps the weather forecast had put the organiser’s off stalls in the street etc;  there were loads of people walking around, probably wondering where the action was.    We didn’t go in to the Town Hall;   there was nowhere to park. 
  
Prior to going along to St Monans we’d been sitting in the Sailing Club having a mug of tea and a biscuit;  watching a bloke ‘kite boarding’ across the bay:  he was good.... scudding over the waves towards the pier and turning away at the last moment;  he
Elie harbour.
was in complete control of the kite and board;   very entertaining, and impressive.    I met, and chatted, to a couple at the end of the pier who have built a house in the village;  of course I gave them the ‘Ferry History Lesson’.....  as usual.     Since I ‘lost’ Maggie I talk far too much.   Anyway they are a nice couple;   I only hope I haven’t ‘put them off’ moving to the village!

Jimmy came along in the afternoon.   We reminisced about the Waid Academy... the old teachers that we remembered, and who had been teachers at the Waid when Jimmy was a pupil, and were still there when I was a pupil.    Jimmy ‘left’ the Waid in 1940... I ‘left’ in 1953.

Photographs : Top – Hmmm...  threatening sky over Earlsferry, Middle  and Bottom – ‘Kite boarder’ enjoying himself in Elie Bay.    He was very skilful, ....  and entertaining!

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Cold and overcast ....