Summer Solstice.... and strawberry moon

20th June 2016 (Monday) ...   “Happy Summer Solstice to everyone”!     This is the longest day ... sunrise in Elie and Earlsferry, was at 04.23 and sunset is at 22.03.   Not only is it the Summer Solstice, we also have, on the same date, a Strawberry Full Moon this year.... a rare event in the astronomical calendar, the last
Kincraig cliffs this morning
time this happened was in 1967.     The “Strawberry Moon” was so named by the North American Indians, and indicates the start of the strawberry season.... so “Happy Strawberry Season” too!     Not only that, we have a west wind for the first time in weeks months, so there’s much ‘happenings’ happening today!      I think this should be a ‘play’ day for the ‘Boy’.  


 10.00     I’ve been up for a wee ‘play’ around the rocks up at Chapel Ness;   although windy it’s a pleasant warm westerly ....so nice ‘out’.    I saw a heavy shower rattling it’s way along the Balcarres Ridge, towards Arncroach,  but it missed us;   that might be how it will be today.    I have a washing out so I’m feeling positive.
I saw two young Magpie’s up by the sixth tee;  I’m sure someone mentioned seeing a couple of birds of that description, at the Coffee Morning..... no, the birds weren’t at the coffee morning,...  the ‘someone’ who mentioned the birds was at our table.    I have seen the odd adult Magpie, around the village, now and again, but this is the first time I’ve seen young ones. 

Elie
21.30    I have enjoyed being able to walk about without having to wear a fleece today .... I kinda like the west wind.     The villages have been busy today;    which is good.   As long as I can find a parking place.    On a day like this there are so many things I want to do;  and at Elie and The Royal Burgh, there’s ‘things’ to do all around the place;  especially with the camera.   Funnily enough I didn’t ‘play’ very much all day.   I did a washing, and, after an ‘elevenses’ cuppa with Jimmy, I went along to Leven to get some vital ingredients:  that mission was successfully accomplished by lunch time.   After lunch there were one or two showers clouds coming over, and we caught the edge of one of those.   (My washing was dry, and ‘in’ by this time).   Later in the afternoon, I got the bike out again, and did the villages, from Chapel Green to
Evening dog walk
the harbour.   
I’m just back from having an evening stroll along the beach;  which was busy with folk out enjoying the ambience of an Elie and Earlsferry evening.     The ‘Strawberry Moon’ doesn’t rise until 21.34 so I’ll have a look for that around 22.00.

Photographs : Top – West Bay this morning, Middle – Elie harbour earlier this evening,  and Bottom – late evening dog walkers.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....