Nice morning ...

10th January 2017 (Tuesday) .... 09.00    We have a mostly overcast sky, but it’s dry, and looks like the sun could break through later;   I might go for a walk,
Lovely cars
but with the reserves being no go areas, I’m left with walking streets or roads.... and they are not relaxing, nor healthy places, being traffic laden.   Having said that when I can get onto the Nature Reserves it’s brilliant.... and they are all around the edge of Uckfield.    Must go ... ‘slight flap on’;  I need a cuppa.


22.00     I wandered through some ‘new’ (to me) Uckfield streets this afternoon;   a real mix of houses from 100 years old through to modern(ish)....  the streets were quiet compared to the through road Uckfield High Street/ London Road.     The total distance I walked was 4.27 kilometres (2.6 miles)... with two stops.    I had soup at ‘The Ringles’ followed by coffee and a toasted teacake at the Civic Centre.   It was in ‘The Ringles’ that I remembered to
Uckfield houses.
switch ‘on’ the tracker app in the phone:   having already walked ‘iggzactly’ a  kilometre to get there it was easy to add that onto the final total.    I was pleasantly surprised to find Leeann working today.   While having my cuppa I chatted to a gent sitting next to me, he was about my own age (40+?), and discovered that he was Sussex born and bred.    He was telling me that they (developers) are going to build another 1,000 houses on the edge of Uckfield, knocking down a wood to make room for the houses.    Not good .... but the new, relaxed, ‘rools’ do allow this to ‘happen’.     The small Sussex village that the man was born in (not Uckfield) has ‘disappeared’ into the middle of  huge, and in most cases boring, housing estates.   This is what has happened to Uckfield.... the High Street and a few short Streets, or roads  running off it, make up what was the original Uckfield:  ‘new’ Uckfield is just a
Quiet corner of 'older' Uckfield.
mass of housing built with little local empathy.    They have left a few oak trees dotted throughout the estates to remind us of what was!     Luckily Uckfield is surrounded by its Nature Reserves .... at present!    The ‘master plan’ is to build ‘new’ housing estates  on what was the Ridgewood Farm fields etc. .... with the population increasing at the rate it is, this is the way it has to be.    Hopefully the new estate will be less ‘housing estate’ looking than previous ‘new builds’.


Photographs : Top – a couple of bonnie looking vintage cars, Middle – a row of Uckfield houses... the date on the plaque is 1900.    The houses don’t look that old! and Bottom – Pudding Cake Lane.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Cold and overcast ....

Quiet morning ....