Veteran cars .....

23rd September 2016 (Friday) .... 08.30     Mmmmm ... we have a ‘frisky’ breeze this morning, so the air feels cool ... no ... the air is cool .... however it is also, ‘bright, and sunny’ making this a nice morning for working in the garden. 
Linda, me and John
   What? .... working in the garden?    Yes .... I suppose it is a good morning for doing stuff in the garden:   I’d dismantle the Buddleia bush.  But it there are a few flower heads on it ... therefore it’s still a source of ‘food’ for butterflies, and other insects.    That’s the gardening sorted, now I can get the bike out.     


 22.30     You will probably find this hard to believe;   I did some gardening today!    And.... I had the earth under my finger nails to prove it:   this made me feel like a real ‘worker’.   What did I do? .... I planted some snowdrop bulbs at the Boss’s Seat!    Okay ... it only took about five minutes, but, to a gardener of my calibre that’s a huge achievement.    I’ll probably be digging them up in the middle of December to see if they are  showing signs of life!.... I am excited by the prospect of seeing green shoots emerge, that aren’t weeds.
Linda, Betty and me.
Now for the real excitement that happened today!    There’s me, sat sittin’ in The Hutte, wondering if I should become a ‘professional’ gardener, when Linda appeared.   At first I thought I was hallucinating, but no... Linda was really real, and she came bearing gifts... and also to tell me that the car park along at the Club House, had a lot of veteran cars in it.    Linda and John were at lunch in the Pavilion, but Linda put all thoughts of food aside to come and tell me about the ‘cars’.   All deliberations, re gardening vanished;   to be quickly replaced by lovely thoughts, of highly polished brass and ‘sparkling’  “Sooper Sooper Buggy’s”.    Linda took orf, back to the Pavilion, to finish her lunch, I grabbed a camera, louped on the bike... then louped orf the bike, and went back to Ivy for a jacket. 
 
The Club House car park was the bonniest car park I have ever seen, with veteran cars taking up well over half the available space.    There were different makes of car, all immaculate, just sitting there waiting to be photographed:   which is what I did.     On asking how they were leaving the villages I was pleased to know that they were going through ‘The Royal Burgh’ on the way out.    Veteran cars always look best ‘out on the road’ and I found a nice spot, outside “No 3” Earlsferry High Street, that allowed me
1912 Hispana Suiza
to take photos of the cars coming into ‘the Ferry’ without a modern car in sight.... how it would have been all those years ago.   In my excitement I hadn’t gone to the Pavilion to thank Linda, and John.    Luckily John and Linda arrived at the Ferry to find me at my ‘chosen spot’;   they were bearing more gifts to have with our coffee/tea.    I got photos of some of the cars, but they were coming in at irregular intervals so we decided we’d go up to Ivy, after I’d managed to get a photo of “Harriet” as ‘she’ arrived in the ‘Royal Burgh’.    “Harriet” being a Model ‘T’ Ford.    By this time Shona had appeared on her bike (she was photographed) so all four of us went up to Ivy.... where we were joined by Jimmy about ten minutes later.   
There was much chattering (all four of ‘my’ visitors are good listeners), and even the coffee tasted good.... perhaps the goodies that John and Linda had brought helped with this.

1911 Arrol Johnston ... manufactured in Paisley
I’ve had a really enjoyable day, and I’m still enjoying it;   I’m playing with the photo’s I got.    I have three versions of the veterans as they enter the Ferry... sepia, black and white, and colour;   and they look good.    I’m pleased.    A big  “Thank You” to John and Linda for seeing the ‘veterans’ and thinking of ‘me’.   Love you both to bits.
The weather for tomorrow is forecast to be windy (from the south) and cloudy... but dry and warm(ish).   This is a holiday weekend so the auld place is ‘alive’ tonight.... I can hear noises;  noises that most folk would take for granted, but are sadly missing when the Ferry is empty;  it’s good to hear folks around.

Photographs : Top – Linda, ‘The Boy’  (I might have taken the cap off) and John, Next – Linda, Linda’s Mum ‘Betty’, and Me, Next – 1912 Hispana Suiza, and, Bottom - 1911 Arrol Johnston, built in Paisley.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....