Journey up to Auchnagatt ....

17th July 2017 (Monday) .... 08.00    We have another “bright and breezy” morning.... a nice morning for doing things.     I’m driving up to Auchnagatt, stopping at “Peggy Scott’s” for breakfast.    My ‘plan’ is to go over the ‘Cairn o’ Mount’ to Crathes;   I want to get a few photos of the house (or what remains of it) that we lived
Cairn o' Mount road - south side.
in from 1943 – 47.    Slight ‘flap on’ I’ve just remembered that the car is at the other end of the Ferry High Street.    The next ‘update’ will be from “The Backhill of Inkhorn” (Auchnagatt).



19.00    I am now at “Backhill of Inkhorn” after a nice drive up;   I was going to say uneventful, but the journey did have one ‘event’:   I arrived at Ganochy Bridge to find the road was ‘Closed’ for repairs to the bridge.    Someone must have hidden any signs there were previous to arriving at the bridge;  I wasn’t the only one to have to retrace my ‘steps’ and travel a few miles North on the A90 to the next Fettercairn turn off.      Even that ‘event’ didn’t spoil the drive.... it was a gorgeous day, ‘wall to wall’ sunshine, and I was enjoying myself.

I left Ivy at 08.50 ...  and arrived at “Peggy Scott’s”, just after 10.00. where I had a ‘Full Peggy Scott’s Breakfast”;   before, eventually, getting onto the Cairn o’ Mount road.    I stopped at the ‘viewpoint’ to phone Iain... and had a chat with a couple who
Myrebird, Crathes.
were about to have lunch in their ‘camper van’.    From the ‘Cairn o’ Mount’ I made my way by a devious route (I got slightly lost) to Myrebird, Crathes, to take some photos of the house we lived in from 1943 -47. 

That was a sad mission, even though it brought back happy memories;   because, though you wouldn’t think so to look at it now, we had four happy years at Myrebird.    I think we were the last family to live in the house, though a ‘travelling person’ lived in it for some months.    It’s hard to paint a picture of what it was like then ;   but I remember many ‘Bothy Ballad’ type evenings... in the days before television became the ‘norm’.    Sadly I found a dead ewe and her lamb inside the house:  all that’s left of both mother and lamb, is fleece resting on bones.  
Living room.
  The good news is that a Barn Owl has taken up residence.... I like that.    I know this because when I went in, it ‘floated’ out....  as only Barn Owls can.    Of course the house had a big vegetable garden, sheds, and chicken runs etc.... and didn’t stand ‘naked’ as it does now.    I photographed the house from all angles, inside and out:   much as I loved Myrebird I don’t think I’ll ever go back again.

This has been an eventful day for ‘the Boy’... and the weather forecast for us tomorrow, .... “wall to wall” sunshine.


Photographs : Top – Cairn o' Mount road - south side,Middle – Myrebird, and Bottom - the living room.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....