KIlbrackmont beech .....

24th April 2016 (Sunday) .... 08.30    Hmmmm .... it’s a nice morning;   a good morning for running the London Marathon, which I’m not,  so I’ve got the bike out and intend biking up to the ‘Auld Fella’.... the big beech tree up at Kilbrackmont.... this will be my ‘marathon’ for today.   I have biked it non- stop from Ivy, but I don’t
Kilbrackmont beech
intend doing that .... in fact I’m going to walk up the steeper bits of Balcarres.....up until now I have always biked the Double Dykes but, ‘discretion is the better part of valour’, so from now on I walk the steeper bits.     The flask is filled with coffee, I’ve packed some fruit, and a couple of ‘goodies’ for my usual picnic up at ‘the tree’..... all I have to do is make sure the i-phone is fully charged (I’m switching the  tracker ‘on’) and I am more or less ready to ‘roll’.... oh... and make sure I have plenty batteries for the camera.
21.30     It was hard work, biking into a wind even a light wind, is hard.... and, with most of the Balcarres Estate, right up to the ‘auld tree’ at Kilbrackmont, being 90% uphill it was doubly hard at times..... but I made up to the ‘Auld Fella’, and ‘he’ is still ‘staunin’.      This tree is not the bonniest beech tree, in fact I didn’t think it was a
Stewart working ... Elie Estate
beech tree at all when I first found it six years ago;  it was only when I checked the buds, that I realised it was a beech tree.    The bark is so old it looks like wizened leather.... very un-beech tree like!    It doesn’t have a normal beech tree trunk ... in fact it doesn’t have a trunk of any length at all... only a few feet then huge limbs grow out in all directions.  Many of the trees in this woodland have been ‘coppiced’ at some time, and it looks like the ‘Auld Fella’ might well have been coppiced, albeit by a lightning strike at one time.    How long he will continue to produce leaves and nuts in the future I don’t know, but he has certainly been doing so for a good two hundred years by the look of ‘him’;   and he has fresh buds appearing this year!    It was beautiful up there, warm in the sun as I was out of the cool wind.... just the perfect place to have my ‘coffee and energy giving goodies’!
I wasn’t sure how I would go back down:   “Should I retrace my tracks to the Main
Sara Van Veen 
road then hit real speed on the way down to Robin Gray’s cottage... or should I go down the old ‘Coal Road’ to Gibliston Farm (the ‘Coal road continued onward to St Monans) then along to Balmakin, cross the Main road onto Balcarres then down the Double dykes to Colinsburgh?”     I chose the latter, which I knew was going to be rough;  I was up there and the Old Coal road was there .... yep it had to be it!
The Coal Road was rough but not as bad as it was two years ago .... the only thing of ‘note’ was the number of Small Tortoiseshell butterflies on the wing;   and that particular ‘ note’ continued all the way down, from Kilbrackmont to  Ivy!     It was warm in the sun and the butterflies were out enjoying it!   So was I .... and I have a touch of the sun ... or it could be windburn, to prove it!
T
Elie harbour
he whole journey, of 20.98 kilometres (13.4 miles) took three hours and five minutes, but I spent a bit of time at the bottom of Balcarres Crag photographing the Magnolias which are in bloom just now.   I walked about 400 metres, on the steeper bits, and creeping around the magnolias.... the rest of the time I was on the bike, stopping to take photographs as I wished.   Not long after I got back to Ivy Jimmy came along for a cuppa and we ended up going down to the Sailing Club for the afternoon.    Elie Harbour was busy with folks out enjoying the balmy afternoon, at the ‘Centre of the Universe’.... a perfect Sunday!   
I have had a brilliant, if tiring day, and I suspect there won’t be much of my book read in bed tonight!    The weather forecast for the next few days is ‘colder and windier’ so today was the perfect day for my ... ‘half marathon’ on the bike.

Photographs : Top – Stewart, hard at work, replanting woodland on Elie Estate, Next – The old beech tree up at Kilbrackmont, Next – “Sarah Van Veen” and, Bottom – Elie Harbour.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....