Lepidodendron fossil uncovered on the Ferry beach....

17th April 2016 (Sunday).... 10.00    It’s a nice morning, even though it is overcast and cold;   ‘nice’ = blue bits appearing through the grey!    I had a long, and
Chapel Green, Earlsferry
deep, sleep last night and woke up, albeit late, feeling perky.... full of ‘vivaciousness’ this morning!     There’s a brisk  WNW wind, which is adding to the chill factor, so it will be a well wrapped up ‘me’ that hits the beach in a wee while.     I’m thinking, .. the temperature might take ‘the edge’ orf the ‘vivaciousness’.
21.30    It didn’t .... the temperature didn’t take the edge orf my ‘vivaciousness’;   I’ve been feeling fresh, frisky, with a touch of skittishness, all day:   even though it has been cauld, and windy.    In the afternoon it was so windy that the washing I hung out at 14.00 was dry by 17.30.
We had coffee in the Kirk at Kinneuchar (Kilconquhar) this afternoon, and that was a really pleasant break, chatting to my friends from Colinsburgh, Kilconquhar and Elie.  It was when I came out of the Kirk that I noticed the wind had risen, so much so, that I
Lepidodendron fossil
was worried about the sheet I’d left on the line, still being threw hem I got back to Ivy.   It was.
A few weeks ago Ron and Eleanor (Black) were telling me about a fossil ‘tree’ they had found  along at the West end of the Ferry beach.    Our beach sand comes and goes quite dramatically at times;   this time it had ‘gone’, exposing new rocks and this  335 million year old fossil from the Carboniferous Period.   Today I met Myra on the beach, the fossil is immediately down from Glover’s Wynd, Earlsferry, and she, Myra, took me to the very spot.    Myra, who did an  Geology Course at St Andrews knew immediately what it was when she first saw it:  it’s a Lepidodendron fossil, which, 335 million years ago, were as common in this area, as dandelions in Ivy garden are today;  and that’s very common indeed.    Lepidodendrons were, primitive, vascular (sooks up water), arborescent plants (looks like a tree but isnae), that grew up to 100 feet tall, like telephone poles, for ten to fifteen years, then formed two branches (bifurcating) at
Close up of fossil
the top, seeded spores, then ‘popped their clogs’, and;   334,999,207, or so,  millions of years later we dug them up as coal;   or find them  fossilized on the beaches of Fife.   Now what else have I done today?     Not much .... but what I have down has been interesting.
The weather forecast for tomorrow is ‘good’ .... more or less typical of this time of year;    windy with cotton wool shower clouds.

Photographs : Top – this morning, Middle – the Lepidodendron  fossil discovered by Eleanor and Ron,  and Bottom – close up of the aforementioned fossil.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....