Happy happy day ......

8th April 2016 (Friday) .... 09.00     Hmmmmmm .... it’s a bonnie morning of the ‘bright and sunny’ kind, with only a light wind;  however, there are clouds already beginning to roll over from the Northwest;  eventually carrying the rain forecast for
Earlsferry from low tide beach
later in the afternoon.     We have a spring tide today,6.1 metres, with low tide being atC09.50, high tide at 16.08:  this means  it won’t be hard to guess where I will be in about 30 minutes.   Must ‘go’ slight ‘flap on’..... I have to go down to the beach.
21.30     I’m having a special ‘treat’ as I type up the Hutte tonight;  a ‘melt in the mouth’ piece of homemade shortbread!    Jimmy and I were having our morning cuppa when my doorbell rang:   being a fast thinker I realised it couldn’t be Jimmy ‘cos he was sitting beside me.    On my opening the door, a lady, “Kathleen Barrie”, is her name, introduced herself, saying that she is a regular reader of “The Hutte” , and that she had brought me some homemade shortbread.     
Elie
Kathleen lives in Glasgow and finds reading about Elie (and ‘The Royal Burgh’) interesting, because they have a second home here, and like to know what’s going on in the village(s).   I was in a state of amazement really, and forgot to ask Kathleen if she wanted a mug of the ‘Hutte’s Finest’ (or a cuppa).    We could have, Kathleen, Jimmy and I, discussed hip and knee replacements, .... which all three of us have had recently.     Apologies to Kathleen for my not offering her a proper Hutte welcome;   very remiss of ‘the Boy’ indeed.     Hopefully we shall meet again and do the ‘Hutte Finest and  Blethering’ thing, properly.     I must say that Kathleen’s shortbread does, literally, ‘melt in the mouth’;  I am sorely tempted to have another piece..
What have I done since the morning ‘update’?     As if I could forget a ‘spring’ tide as low as the one we had today!    of course went down to the beach, planning to get out as far as I could..... so I ‘walked’ the sewage pipe.     ‘Walking’ the sewage pipe means;  I don’t need to swear ‘wellies’, to get down to the ‘beaches’ exposed at
Elie 
‘spring’ tides.   This I did, and was able to walk, on sand, out beyond the end of the pipe.    I should point out that it is not a ‘sewage’ pipe anymore;   only the rainwater runoff from the streets comes out at the end of this ‘pipe’ now.   Anyway I had a great time just being on rarely seen ‘beaches’, and.... seeing the villages from a viewpoint.    In all I spent an hour and a half, pottering about.   Ten years or so ago there would have been half a dozen folk out with the cleek looking for lobsters;  today the lobsters were safe.    There was only one other person, a lassie, and myself that far out....and we were only ‘sightseeing’;   but, the main beaches busy, with people enjoying themselves, which is what ‘Elie and Earlsferry’ is all about.     One of the things that ‘caught my eye’ out there were the different kinds of seaweeds we have around, because at low tides the seaweeds are exposed.... from huge tangles, to the more delicate types.    I’ll need to get a ‘seaweed’ identification book to take with me the next time.
Seaweeds 
When I biked down to the harbour this afternoon I was pleasantly surprised to find another ‘sign of Spring’.... Jim Kenyon’s yacht’ “Free Spirit” at it’s moorings.    ‘She’ had been ‘craned in’ at St Monans yesterday;   Jim and Steve sailed her along to Elie today.    You will have spotted that I said, “another’ sign of Spring” .... I had a positive sighting of my first House Martin of the year on Wednesday.
Well this has been another exciting day, and very agreeable day.    I met a new ‘friend’, had a great time on the beach, and at the harbour;  and have plenty of photographs to ‘play’ with, in the new Photoshop.

Photographs : Top – Elie from the low point of the tide, Next – Earlsferry from low point, Next – Yacht “Free Spirit” at her moorings, and Bottom – Seaweeds .... the ‘red’ one is ‘Dulse’ 

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....