Painting gate .....


17th June 2018 (Sunday) .... 09.00    Nae ‘flap on’...... I feel ‘unflappable’ this morning.    I’ve been for a walk (Chapel Green etc) on what has been, up till now,
Earlsferry High Street.
a ‘bright and sunny’ morning.   However clouds are beginning to crawl in from the Northwest, and already the ‘bright and sunny’ isn’t quite as sunny as it was half an hour ago.
I sanded the gate before I went for the walk..... it, the gate, is wet along the bottom from all the rain we had yesterday, so couldn't be painted.     The ‘plan’ is to get a coat of  wood stain on it  as soon as it is completely dry:  and before any rain that might happen today.   I don’t think rain is mentioned in the weather forecast until later in the afternoon.

12.00     I watched a fly land on the gate just a few minutes ago:  and it took off again without leaving its legs hanging from the gate.      This is excellent, because it means the stain is dry.... which is really excellent;  it looks like it could rain at any ‘minit’.    I’m using water based stain which does dry quickly.

Earlsferry.
Maggie used to tell me... “do without a hearing aid as long as you can”!    However I’m beginning to think perhaps that time might be nigh.    Either that or everyone is whispering.       I hear dogs nae bother;  but they don’t do ‘whisper’.    I’ll make an appointment to have my lugs looked at.  
 

19.30     I’ve had a ‘working day’, and the inside of the gate is finished, having had three coats of wood stain.    The outside has had one coat, and will get the other two tomorrow.    The sky was a bit ‘iffy’ looking later in the afternoon, so  I decided to go up to Balcarres for a walk, but big drops of rain started to hit the car windscreen when I got to Kinneuchar so I aborted that plan and went back to ‘The Royal Burgh’ and had a cuppa;  glad that I had decided to leave finishing the front of the gate until tomorrow.   According to
Earlsferry.
tomorrow’s weather forecast there should be more sunny spells, and wind.    Good drying day so I’ll do a washing.

I found an old sign that used to be on the front gate (not the one I was looking for) so I will paint it up and have ago at doing an ‘Ivy Cottage’ sign.    I have some gold leaf  for the letters.    This should really test my arthritic hands.   I’m looking forward to the challenge.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Cold and overcast ....