Trip to Auchnagatt ....


22nd June 2018 (Friday) .... 07.30     We have a bonnie morning;   not
Edzell arch.
quite ‘wall to wall’ bloo, but not far orf it..... a nice day for travelling.   I’ll take the scenic route over the Cairn o’ Mount, that way I can stop here and there and get a few photos on the way north.   Right now I’m going down to the beach for a pre breakfast daunder.



21.00      I had a really enjoyable trip up to Auchnagatt.  On the way I had breakfast at Peggy Scott’s.... which took an hour.    My next stop was at Edzell to photograph the arch, though it wasn’t the best of light for doing that.    I then visited Balbegno Farm, to get a photo of the bungalow that has replaced the two ‘cottar’ houses, one of which I was born in.    I met and talked to the farmer, who is a grandson of the farmer that my ‘Dad’ worked for, as a horseman, in 1938:   this was a really interesting stop.    From there I went too
Fettercairn arch.
Fettercairn to photograph their arch.... the light was still awkward but the photos turned out reasonable.    I then bumbled up the Cairn o’ Mount, stopping at the viewpoint, and other ‘points’ before finally arriving at Backhill of Inkhorn at 15.40.... after a coffee break in Ellon.



We have a bonnie evening here .... fairly breezy and cool but that is forecast to change.    There’s a Scotland’s Gardens ‘open’ day near us tomorrow:   Hazel and I plan to visit the garden in the morning;  then we’re all going to the concert in Kemnay Church Hall in the afternoon.   That’s if I don’t sleep in.    I am tired tonight after all the driving, so I should sleep well.   As long as I don’t fall asleep at Kemnay!


The Edzell arch was built in 1887 in remembrance of the Earl and Countess of Dalhousie.   The Countess died on the 24th November 1887;  the Earl died (of a broken heart) the next day.    The Fettercairn arch (1864) commemorates Queen Victoria and Prince Albert staying at the Ramsay Hotel, Fettercairn.

Popular posts from this blog

Pittenweem swimming pool....

Quiet morning ....

Warm and damp ....