Warm and damp ....
28th July 2026 (Tuesday) 10.00 .... We've had some light rain overnight; with heavy showers
and sunny spells forecast. I can see a big blue patch coming over just now, so sunny spells are definitely in the mix, albeit with the chance of a shower now and again. Actually, we might get lucky with the heavy showers; they could me be more towards the West of Fife! And, I've abandoned the haircut 'plan' for today, because there's something in the air that's upsetting the auld tubes this morning. Funny thing is; I feel almost frolicsome.11.30 I set off to wander down to the beach, but only went as far as Ferry Corner. Whatever is in the air is still 'in the air', so I'm going to take an anti histamine pill.
17.00 By the time I took the anti histamine pill it was too hot to go to the beach anyway; even with the freshening breeze. So I was confined to Ivy, but I did spend about half an hour in The Hutte, reading the 'rools' that came with my replacement Blue Badge this morning. I eventually had to abandon The Hutte, and went in to catch up with today's News.
The Earthquake in Japan, that has sadly taken lives, and the wild fires that continue to burn on the Continent were, unsurprisingly, the main topics.
I left 'The Waid' at the Easter holidays in 1953 to begin a five year apprenticeship, as an apprentice painter on Balcarres Estate. In those days the (15 year old 'working class') male school leaver, had a job lined up before they left school, usually, as in my case, in the building trades; or as apprentices in whatever industry was active in the area; such as farming, fishing, mining, manufacturing etc. The same applied to ('working class') girls; the girls had jobs to go to when they left school; in Offices, Shops Nursing etc. The main difference between 'Then' and 'Now', was the fact that there were jobs ... everywhere! NEETS (Not in Education Employment or Training) were far into the future.
18.30 I was shutting the Hutte up for the night just now; and it started to rain as I was going back into Ivy. I won't be going for a short walk this evening. I've just thought of something else .... I won't be watering the flower tubs! Happy boy!
21.30 I fell sound asleep in my chair after dinner so never got round to writing any more thoughts
about Andy Burnham's plan for modern apprenticeships. Anyway I hope it does get young folk into work, but it all comes down to money nowadays!My first take home pay packet, as an apprentice painter in 1953, was, (in modern money) £1.30p: and I was happy because I was working, that was important! 80p went to Mum for my 'keep'; leaving me with 50p to spend/save. I eventually saved enough to buy a new bike from Thomas Ure in Leven.


