Quiet morning ....
23rd July 2026 (Thursday) 10.45 ..... I was browsing the Living Room (sometimes Lounge)
19.00 It has been another hot day; absolutely perfect holiday weather. Lots of folk here, hopefully, enjoying their holiday in Elie and Earlsferry. I've been busy (but not as busy, but found it hard going today, as my muscles, at least what remains of them, were stiff (and still are) after my hard work yesterday. And I sorted out the back door curtain: I hung it out in the sun for a while, then back on the door where it belongs. I might get a new one; but that's not vital now. Vital? ..... that reminds me; I put the kettle on 10 minutes ago. Back in 10.
20.30 I was in The Hutte doing a Soduko, when the 'good old days' drifted into my mind. I ended thinking of the cold winters we had when we lived at Tillygreig (Aberdeenshire). Right enough it has been hot again today. Anyway, Tillygreig was the farm my Dad was Foreman on at the time. The Walker family farmed Tillygreig at the time (David Walker), another Walker brother farmed a nearby farm. The number of David's car (Wolseley) was DAV 127. Strange that I should remember that. Tillygreig was a nice place in the summer, but winter time was something else; Tillygreig was on high ground.. I remember all the older kids on the farm were walking to school (Newmachar) when the wind got up and we ended up with 'blin drift' (Aberdeenshire term... 'white out' now), and had to hold the hand of the person in front of you, until we got down to the lower ground, then to school. About a distance of 2 miles. We had no problem walking home; the farm sent out a tractor (Fordson Major) and trailer, with bales of straw and a tarpaulin over them for shelter, to take us home. We'd only been at school about an hour and a half when the tractor arrived. The snow was still driftin' off the fields, and the road was blocked for the next couple of days. That was Tillygreig.
Why was that a 'good old day'? .... I was holding Helen Lawson's hand! That would be in the winter of
1949. Sadly Helen's wee sister Elizabeth, died in the winter of 1959 walking home to 'Spyfar' Inverurie, from Inverurie Academy, (having been dropped off the school bus at the 'Spyfar' road end), in similar weather conditions. I remember reading about her death when I was in Cyprus. That was not a 'good old day'.
Photograph Courtesy Channel 5 TNT Sports
Today's photographs: top two - flowers in Ivy garden, and Bottom; King Charles III opening the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

